When you’re looking for an apartment in downtown Chicago, you have all kinds of options. There are many great neighborhoods, apartments with open layouts, and even those special units with views of beautiful Lake Michigan or the Chicago River. Are there certain features or qualities that make a Chicago apartment stand out in today’s market? What are the must-haves that belong on an ultimate Chicago apartment checklist, and why?
To answer these questions and inspire you when apartment-hunting, here’s a roundup of some of the most important amenities to look for in your new home in Chicago. Think of it as a bucket list for finding the perfect luxury living situation.
- A walkable neighborhood. In a city with so many wonderful, exciting, walkable neighborhoods, there are plenty of opportunities to live in the center of everything. Picture yourself stepping outside your building to grab coffee across the street or walking to shops and restaurants right in your neighborhood. If you want to experience the best Chicago has to offer, you’ve got to look for an apartment that makes the most of the city.
- Hassle-free parking. If you’ve ever tried to park in downtown Chicago or any of its most popular neighborhoods, you know that it’s either impossible or expensive. If you have a car, you will definitely want to search for an apartment that has its own parking garage. Your vehicle will be safer, you’ll never have to worry about trying to find a spot when you’re rushing to or from home, and you won’t have to walk through mountains of snow in the winter just to get to your car.
- The right location for your lifestyle. Your time is valuable, so why not live in an area that offers the types of restaurants, night spots and shopping experiences that you enjoy? Chicago’s multiple hot spots are exponentially more accessible when you live in the neighborhood. Instead of driving to and from locales, spend the extra time enjoying your favorite activities.
- A maintenance staff that’s available around the clock. Before you sign a lease, find out what the building maintenance standards are. Will someone come right away when you’ve got a plumbing emergency at night? Who do you contact when there’s an electrical problem in your unit? The best apartment is one with a maintenance staff that’s at the ready 24/7.
- Beautiful outdoor amenities, such as a rooftop garden. Chicago summers are like nowhere else — but they go by all too quickly. Make sure you can enjoy them with an apartment that has a welcoming outdoor space. Whether it’s a private rooftop patio with an amazing view, or a rooftop garden blooming with amazing colors, outdoor amenities are major selling points for apartments.
When you’re looking for a new place to live in Chicago, keep top amenities at the front of your mind. Are you ready to shop? Browse our luxury apartment map and luxury penthouse map to explore what’s available!